Sunday, August 13, 2006

Good buy

I've had a few incidents in shops this week...

1) Hospital shop.
One of those places run by volunteers ie. elderly widows, usually closer to death than most of the patients. I fancied a non-fizzy drink so I got a bottle of flavoured water from the fridge (to keep things anonymous let's call it "Vulvic") & took it to the counter:

- That'll be 94p please. It's disgusting.
= 'scuse me?
- It's terrible. It really is.
= What is?
- How can they charge so much for a bottle of water. I wish I didn't have to take so much money from you, young man. I'm really sorry but there's nothing I can do about it.

I was stunned - such poor sales technique.
I went back later & nicked one when she wasn't looking. I think it's what she would've wanted.



2) Card shop.
A mate of mine recently announced his engagement. I tried to find a realistic card, but they don't make any which mention pregnancy, biological clocks or disappointment; they only had ones which were pastel or silver, all teddy bears & hearts - what's that got to do with weddings?

In the end, I found one with an arguing couple on the front, so I took it to the counter. Two chavvy salesgirls were there nattering, one was chewing her hair, the other looked like she was counting her nails.

- That's one ninety-nine please. My arse is really sore.

I stared blankly at her as she got my change. Her mate answered before I could give any advice. Just as well I s'pose.



3) Clothes.
I've discovered a great new game if the shop assistant working the till looks a bit, well, simple. Find something not for sale & take it to the counter. And wait.

First they look EVERYWHERE for a price tag. Only then do they get properly confused. Usually they then open their mouth to try and say something, but nothing comes out. After that they go and check with the manager. Finally they come back and say:

- I'm sorry, but my manager says it's not for sale. Do you want a store card?

I find this works best with mirrors, chairs and display dummies.



Shame - I really want a t-shirt with "SALE" written on it.

5 Comments:

At August 13, 2006 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like the sales technique of meand some of my friends at work. Well, all of them together describe the store, really. But to be honest, what else do you expect from Somerfields?
If you want to shop with someone who was the slightest bit of interest in you I suggest you do your shopping online. The computer may actually talk to you more than the staff in any supermarket would.

 
At August 14, 2006 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blimey, you ARE bitter!

1) If you don't want to buy a bottle of water for 94p, then use the water machines (or the tap - hospital water does upset stomach though so not advised). Or even better, buy it from the supermarket and take your own! Be organised! :-)

2) You're supposed to be HAPPY that your mate is getting married - yes I know it just reminds the rest of us how far we've got to go until we settle down, but if all married couples do is argue, whats the point?! Take consolation in the fact that most of them end up in divorce anyway. (Oops, maybe I'm a little bitter too) And don't shop at Clinton Cards!!!

3) How bored were you?!

 
At August 15, 2006 4:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that too..and have u *seen* the shirts they wear?? (in clintons)..cant be taken seriously..do a song about them!! xx

 
At August 18, 2006 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a "League of Friends" at our hospital. however ours grew from the WRVS.

This means that we can get a bottle of water for the reasonable price of 45p (Well that depends on if you are Marcos Brigstocke... RE: Radio 4's Now Show and his rants)

And the lovely little ladies there still appologiese for having to charge so much.

 
At January 05, 2007 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some mates of mine once responded to a motorway service station display of fruit labeled 'any item 99p' by trying to buy the melon and 2 pinapples sat on the top of the display of cheaper fruit. Legal threats were made when refusal offended. Not pretty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home