Tuesday, February 13, 2007

C-c-c-cold

I don't feel too well.

I've done quite well avoiding all the bugs going round for the last few months, but finally one's caught me (or rather I've caught one).

I have a cough & the snuffles, that's all, just a simple cold. I'm not dying. It's probably not actually Asian Bloke Flu...

Yesterday I noticed that every time after I'd got the patient off to sleep, my consultant supervisor sent me off for a teabreak. In fact, he & I barely spent any time in theatre together. And then he sent me home early.
I was taking it personally - had I done something wrong? He saw I looked a bit dejected so he took me to one side.
"Thanks for doing all the work today" he said. "It's just that I'm going skiing next week & don't want to catch your virus."

Fair enough; I got home early.
(I might cough a bit louder today...)

EDIT: I got sent home early again today! Woo hoo!

Anyone who knows me will, at some point in our friendship, have accused me of having either TB or Chronic Bronchitis because when I have a cough, it lasts for ages. Sometimes months.

When I've got a mild cold though, my voice deepens a bit, which I think makes me sound more reassuring when I talk to patients.
Truly a VTMK. Very good for manipulating nurses...



It all started last week. I found out that one of my shoes has a hole in it.
(Sadly my discovery came shortly after I set off walking to work in the thick snow and couldn't do anything about it; I had quite a soggy foot for the rest of the morning.)

Only the one shoe has perforated though. I have a perfectly functioning plain black right one.


It's a shame I can't use the good one at all, I thought


Then I had an idea...

(and if you've read previous posts on this blog, you might see where this is going... )



Some might call it stingy. I prefer to call it resourceful.

(OK, OK, I'll go shopping this weekend...)

9 Comments:

At February 13, 2007 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, righty has a replacement! A happy ending after all!

p.s. Is it just me or is your left shoe bigger than your right one?!

 
At February 13, 2007 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you doctoring types wear those brightly coloured plastic clog things anyway?

 
At February 14, 2007 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon #1 - Do you know, my left foot's bigger than my right one! Abit of a pain 'coz I either have to get a tight left shoe, or a loose right one.
Come to think of it, one of my nostril's larger than the other one too haha can't remember which one, lemme check..
Ah it's the right one.

 
At February 14, 2007 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a truly happy ending =]

hope you're still getting paid for all this time off... i got sent home early from work 3 days in a row [for illness] thinking that i'd get paid.

tight bastards didnt pay me.

grrr

 
At February 14, 2007 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha- thats totally the way to do it went you want a guilt free day off. You gotta work up to it- I think i have written at length about setting yourself up for sickies.

However, I expect to be unpaid. I don't get paid sick leave (rubbish- its not my fault I'm ill is it, all those manky tourists!)

Oh, and if you put a bit of cardboard in your shoe it should last a bit longer. I am a holey-shoe expert.

:-)

 
At February 14, 2007 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you and have not accused you of having TB or chronic bronchitis.

I picked PCP.

 
At February 15, 2007 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just out of interest Suman, now that your exam worries are over, will work resume on the second album? I can hardly wait.

Did you work with Adam on NHS Song or Sheila's Wheels?

 
At February 17, 2007 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

all coughs and colds this week at community placement.....given previous exposure I should start coughing........... in about a day! i love being a medical student really i do! all sympathy for you Suman!

 
At February 17, 2007 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the last 2 days- my entire family seem to have got a cold. The bastards. I shall remain a hermit in my room, and drink plenty of alcohol.

I am aware that my theory of alcohol to kill bugs is flawed in many places- but it works in my head!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home