Thursday, January 25, 2007

Failure to fly

So I took my FRCA postgraduate exam again yesterday.

It was my fourth and final attempt.

Since the end of 2005 I've spent more than £3000 on sitting the bloody thing (plus revision courses and two dozen textbooks). I've taken one stage of the two-part exam (either written or oral) every six weeks or so; each time I passed the written exam but then failed on one particular Viva (30-minute face-to-face interrogation with two examiners) so had to start again a few weeks later.

The first exam I sat yesterday was that same Viva. It did not go well at all - I came out of it thinking there might not even be any point in staying and doing the rest of the exam, it was that bad.

The other Viva was a bit hit-and-miss too, with one examiner repeatedly asking for more detail on topics I didn't really know much about. I couldn't have been more depressed when I went to the OSCE session (2-hour series of 5-minute stations testing various practical skills) in the afternoon.

Afterwards I just had to keep my mind occupied so I went into the British Museum, just around the corner from the Royal College where I'd taken the exam.

There I had my mp3 player on while I wandered zombie-like amongst the entire history of mankind. Enormous 3000 year-old ancient hand-carved statues & I'm shuffling miserably between them with high-volume random electropop in my ears. Fascinating relics from lost civilizations & I'm barely looking at them as I'm blasting my brain with noise just to stop myself thinking "I've failed. That's it. No career prospects."

It just wasn't working.

So I had a nap. On a table. At the British Museum.
(I'd woken up at 4am so I'm sure it's allowed)

When I woke up it was dark outside.

I went back to the Royal College to check the results board.


I passed.

I fucking passed.


So now I don't have to fly to Dublin on Monday to do the Irish equivalent exam. Drink anyone?

28 Comments:

At January 25, 2007 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one squire 8-)

 
At January 25, 2007 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!

 
At January 25, 2007 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done! =]
...mines a white wine

This time isnt wasnt YOUR "failure to fly" it was someone elses

happy times
xx

 
At January 25, 2007 4:11 PM, Blogger Rachie said...

Hey well done!!! Bet you feel much better now its finished!
Mines an archers n lemonade btw :d

Rachx

 
At January 25, 2007 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, congrats!

You had to pass eventually!

Well done!

;-)

 
At January 25, 2007 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done, Fellow!

 
At January 25, 2007 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Now go watch 'a night at the museum', and then go back and take another nap on the table.

 
At January 25, 2007 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done! Perhaps you walked past some ancient tribal totem while wishing you'd past, and he granted your desire...

...or perhaps you're actually much better than you think you are :-)

 
At January 26, 2007 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Have several drinks on my behalf,

KT (ODP)

 
At January 26, 2007 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Suman - we knew you could do it.

 
At January 26, 2007 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

(Someone working at somewhere you worked..).

 
At January 26, 2007 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suman - many congratulations. If you're in London drop me a line for post-exam drinks.

 
At January 26, 2007 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one hun,
Manda
xx

 
At January 26, 2007 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How was your head after all the drinks?

 
At January 26, 2007 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloody good show, old bean! i mean thats fantastic! i've been readin these ramblings for a few years now, through the highs and lows, the good (the humour and vid's) the bad (exam failure, long periods of no blogs) and the ugly (care of that random bloke with a bit of a necrophilia problem). Just goes to show its a funny old world!


....you'll be hearing from me lots now, mwa ha ha ha! ahem, sorry. ttfn.

 
At January 26, 2007 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, forgot to mention! as name suggests i make drinks all day. come back down brighton way and ill make ya a free drink. with lots of helthy fruit. and less healthy alcohol. and a straw. and an umbrella. maybe even a cherry on top...

cheap thrills!

 
At January 26, 2007 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Done!
Bloody VIVAs. I remember sitting one and it was so bad that I just ended up repeating "I don't know" over and over.. Even when was asked "How many windows are there in this room?"
And who invented the OSCE anyway? totally pointless.
YES SO I DON'T WORK WELL UNDER PRESSURE.
Oh but this is about you...
Congratulations again :-)

 
At January 26, 2007 5:50 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Oh God, another anaesthetist that thinks he knows what hes doing..

Congratulations

 
At January 26, 2007 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suman, you are a dude. I'm too scared to apply to med school cos it might be too hard. Those exams are mental.

And anaesthetics is crazy hard. I salute you.

C

 
At January 26, 2007 11:18 PM, Blogger Rob said...

nice one.

 
At January 26, 2007 11:51 PM, Blogger prillopie said...

Woot! Congrats:D

 
At January 27, 2007 3:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate the feeling of paying someone for the privilege of telling you you're not good enough. Well done!

 
At January 27, 2007 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats.

Knew you could do it.

 
At January 27, 2007 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats :D

Anonymous-who's-too-afraid-to-apply-to-med-school: Just go for it. Hell, they let me in and as yet haven't kicked me out...

 
At January 27, 2007 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratsies!

 
At January 27, 2007 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

27 (28) comments now Suman, this must be some kind of record?

 
At January 28, 2007 5:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats! i just passed the MRCP2a and compared to yours tt was chicken...

 
At January 30, 2007 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Biz!
Finally. 4 Bloody times- I could never have done it again.
Did you get stitched by Sue again?
Nice one mate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home