Thursday, January 18, 2007

How did I get here?

Sometimes I like to just stop and take a minute to see where I am; it never fails to amuse me.

Today I had more exam practice with various senior colleagues; I would sit in a room with one of them as they asked me questions and we discussed the answers afterwards. One topic we covered was diabetic ketoacidosis - including the type of overbreathing that patients adopt to try and get rid of carbon dioxide, Kussmaul breathing.

I went off into a bit of a daydream for half a second when my Consultant & I were discussing it, sitting in his very small, windowless office.

All of a sudden I realise that I'm trapped in a cupboard with an old man heavy-breathing at me like some kind of perverted pensioner.

I stayed calm. (Might happen in the exam, you never know)


Like the time when I was doing my Gynaecology placement as a student, and my boss happened to be a long-term family friend - one day she had another student with her, who by complete coincidence was another (unrelated) family friend. Normal clinic takes place, and I have to do various supervised, medical studenty things.

Suddenly it occurs to me that I have two fingers inside a total stranger, with Aunty peering over my one shoulder and my 'cousin' peering over the other.

No-one even offered me a samosa.

3 Comments:

At January 19, 2007 12:48 AM, Blogger The Angry Medic said...

Heh. Nice. I do that all the time. Only then I realise that I'm an idiot who's spent 2 years in one of the world's (supposedly) best universities sitting on my arse learning how bloody enalaprilat is the inactive precursor of enalapril. Instead of getting out there and learning stuff like, oh I dunno, how to save lives, perhaps. And that's a bit depressing.

What, no samosa? Surely considering the orifice involved, some lassi would have been more appropriate.

 
At January 20, 2007 2:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you wanna try my samosa hun
xx

 
At January 21, 2007 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if it were me in that situation:

"Aren't you jealous of the pussy I'm getting?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home