Tuesday, February 27, 2007

New

Okay, so I know I shouldn't admit to being quite so chuffed... but I got to hold a baby this evening.

Normally in the Maternity Unit, I don't have anything to do with the neonate (unless there's a problem and the Paediatrician needs a hand) - I look after the mother, the midwife or partner usually take turns holding the newborn if Mum's not in the mood.

But last night, the Mum was tired & no-one else was around, so I gave her a break and held the baby for 20 minutes (until I was called away).

I don't think I've ever held a baby for anywhere near that long before.

(I've never dropped one or anything - I know they're heavy, but I'm not clumsy - I just haven't had the chance before; none of my close friends have squeezed any sprogs out yet.)

This kid was tiny.
(About the size of a baby. Unsurprisingly.)
He never cried once while I was holding him but he did snuffle a bit, blinked at me a lot and gripped my little finger with his entire hand. I was really quite moved.

I realised I was getting broody...

I looked down again at this baby, only an hour old, wrapped up warm; the top & back of his head were thinly covered with hair, his wrinkled face peered grumpily back at me.


And that's when I realised he looked just like my mate Ed.

7 Comments:

At February 27, 2007 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww bless. not sure which is applicable, so 'delete as applicable'

1/ Poor Baby
2/ Poor Ed

xXx

 
At February 27, 2007 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suman, you're definatly getting broody! Take it from a girl who's wanted children from a very young age!
The only solution...Start talking very nicely to your girlfriend! :)

 
At February 28, 2007 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Babies are ok. They are dead boring though, they are not as good as a cat, who will mostly amuse itself all day. Babies are also really demanding and then turn into millstones round your neck AKA CHILDREN who will demand all your time and money and energy for a long, looooong time.

Borrow them and then you can hand them back just as they have done a poo. Babies, I mean. I don't want one.

Claire, midwife. Who gets to hand them back and wave a cheery goodbye...

 
At March 01, 2007 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

im not convinced by paediatricians that baby's don't break....they're so ickle! obgyn made me v v broody - especially when I had to put a nappy on a new born!(babies.....wriggle a lot!) hopefully snotty kids in paeds will put me off kiddies....

 
At March 01, 2007 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s yes i know i spelt babies wrong initially...i blame the broodiness

 
At March 02, 2007 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Claire I TOTALLY agree.
I love other people's babies, I just don't want any of my own.
Poor Suman.

 
At March 04, 2007 3:01 PM, Blogger 2e1hsb said...

Awwwwwwh ain't it sweet.

It would have been a slightly better story if more barbeque sauce was involved, but you can't win them all.

;-).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home