Tuesday, December 12, 2006

b'dum DSH

I've seen many patients who have harmed themselves on purpose, and I'm aware that we as medics are perhaps not as compassionate as we should be with them and with mental illness.

But let's not even go there.

I want to complain about stupid people.

The ones who have got through their life so far by pure fluke - the Darwin-dodgers who are guaranteed, some day, to lose their life in a totally avoidable way. On a technicality, Gloria Gaynor's song is not for you - you won't survive.

Some people just don't register quite how ridiculous they are - eg. when I was doing my Paediatrics elective in Canada, I talked to the parents of a little boy with possible cardiac problems and asked them "Has anyone in the family ever had any heart problems?" "No" was the definite reply.
But I'd noticed when his dad (clumsily) took off his jumper that he had a scar down the middle of his chest.
"I needed a heart transplant a few years ago" he told me. "Oh wait, does that count?"


I was recently called to see a man with lifelong severe asthma. He had an attack after he took his regular blood pressure medication that night. I looked at the box - instead of giving him his repeat prescription, the pharmacist had somehow made a (potentially lethal) mistake and given him aspirin, a potent trigger which every brittle asthmatic knows to avoid. Inexcusable error.

But what worries me is that the patient:

- realised that this tablet was in a completely different box to usual
(a box which had "Aspirin" written on it on all 6 sides)
- realised that this tablet was a different colour to usual
- realised that this tablet was bigger than usual
(he'd examined it carefully but somehow missed "Aspirin" embossed on it)
- realised that this tablet started frothing when he put it on his tongue
(oh yes, it was a soluble aspirin folks)
and yet despite the nagging suspicion that something was definitely wrong with this tablet,
HE SWALLOWED IT ANYWAY!

It wasn't a fear thing, or a faith-in-the-medical-profession thing.
It was a dumb thing.
I had to stop myself from rolling up a newspaper and tapping him on the head with it saying "No!"

Anyway, he survived.



This time...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There was a teenager in her fourth pregnancy who had severe pain & vomiting.
She wouldn't let anyone put in a drip for painkillers/anti-sickness meds.

Because having a needle hurt.
This was a girl who had gone through childbirth several times.

GET SOME PERSPECTIVE!
(and some condoms)

(BONUS: Feel free to insert your own "not afraid of a little prick" joke here)

12 Comments:

At December 12, 2006 12:49 PM, Blogger Rosey said...

Hi Suman,

just wanted to say I really enjoy reading your blog. It is often lighthearted and fun as well as informative!

 
At December 12, 2006 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TBH, if you're a teenager in your 4th pregnancy you're not exactly an A* student now are you?

 
At December 12, 2006 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why aren't you, ritchie?

 
At December 12, 2006 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work as a council housing surveyor. Whenever I think I have plumbed the depths of people's stupidity, something always happens to make me realise stupidity knows no bounds.

I'd just inspected a loft space in a council property, woman asks

"What's that red tank in the loft?"

"Part of your central heating system, a pressure vessel"

"Is it flammable? I don't think it is because I tried to set fire to it."

I really wish I was joking.

 
At December 12, 2006 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe she was out for every delivery, i was put out (sadly) having 3 of my kids. i swear those surgeons had a party inside me, it still hurts now,





































...and all my kids are in their 20's.

 
At December 12, 2006 10:47 PM, Blogger Dr James Shorthouse said...

I had a relative on the intensive care unit this past week ask me if you needed A-Levels to become a doctor?? Having just passed my Anaesthetic GCSE, I was able to reply in the negative

 
At December 12, 2006 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

next time ask the patient to put on their glasses 8-)
xx

 
At December 13, 2006 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stupid people are fun to taunt, especially seeing the look on their faces while they try to comprehend to a reasonable level exactly what you just said.

 
At December 16, 2006 8:34 AM, Blogger ZoFreX said...

At least you don't fix computers for a living... "I got a chain email saying that VitalSystemFileNo46.dll was a virus so naturally I deleted it without hesitation. Yeah it gave me some warning but I ignored it. My computer doesn't work now... do you think it was the virus?"

 
At December 18, 2006 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doh! Sumans double standards strike again!
Scroll down the blog a little and find the section where he had to have a little blood test and the bit where he nearly passed out.
Now Suman, are we going to critisise a little girl who doesn't like needles or do I have to keep reminding everyone?

 
At December 18, 2006 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try being an IT technician. Stupidity rears it's idiotic head every thirty bloody seconds.

 
At December 19, 2006 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favourite is little old ladies sucking sandoz K (rather than dissolving it) and getting ear drops mixed up with eye drops - ouch!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home