Thursday, March 01, 2007

Marrakech

I went to Marrakech last week. It's technically in Africa but it was quite hard to believe that sometimes.

I stayed in a lovely Riad (B&B) not far from the main market square where we were constantly accosted by people trying to sell us crap. Some of it was very good crap though - I bought one of the traditional Moroccan items of clothing, a jilaba. It's kind of like a long hoodie. Now I can dress up as a Jedi. Or a Dementor.*

The sales-patter of the people at the stalls was impressive... at first.
"I make you good price" from the older people, "Asda prices, isn't it" from the younger ones.

They expect tourists to barter so they ask for more than the items are worth; we expect them to put the prices up so we barter. We get the items for a few Dirhams less so we feel good about ourselves; they ask for 300 dirhams but reluctantly sell for 250, but they feel good because they're only worth 15 anyway. Everyone's a winner.

We ate at a stall one night run by "Mustapha Oliver - my mother is Nigella Lawson and my father is Gordon Ramsay".
(If this nightmare coupling was actually true, he didn't look like either of them.)
They love their mint tea over there. Hippiechick can't stand the stuff (it is approximately 240% sugar after all) so I drank hers when I finished mine; but then someone would come over and insist on topping up both our glasses.

Very friendly. Great hosts.
But my piss still smells like Polo mints...


*(mental note: must wear it next time I go to the supermarket)

8 Comments:

At March 02, 2007 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha - thought so - we were there too (no I am not another stalker) and we met a guy who'd been hypnotised by Derren Brown in Kew Gardens and woke up in the square in Marrakech - he was a bit dazed poor thing.

 
At March 02, 2007 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother has a jilaba. We call it the Kenobi dress :p

 
At March 02, 2007 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first time I tried mint tea- in the 240% sugar way they have have it made me teeth hurt!

If you fancy reliving it- obviously, hippiechick can leave that bit out- but there may be other things she'd like there. There is a morrocan restaurant in Hammersmith that serves all kinds of delightful things- including mint tea.

They have these BRILLIANT bong type things (I can't remember the actual name) that has flavoured tobacco- mmm...like apple and molasses. SO good.

 
At March 02, 2007 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You refer to shisha good stalker! can be aquired in many foreign countries cheaply, then you get an intensly interesting journey through customs holding a giant bong.

Dont buy cappachino flavour, it makes your room stink.

double apple is nice!
Can be bought in brighton on west street if anyone cares?

 
At March 04, 2007 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, thankyou Cocktail Tom- you are a genius (or have too much time on your hands).

Ah, those were the days. I tried to get my friend to bring one back for me last time he went. It would have looked a bit weird bringing two through customs though!

 
At March 06, 2007 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loads of shisha available on Edgware Rd
Strawberry is YUMMY.
Did you know smoking a whole tub of hubbly bubbly is equivalent to smoking 40 cigarettes... :-S

 
At December 07, 2007 11:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At December 07, 2007 11:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

he Kingdom of Morocco is a country in northwest Africa. And I love it! I've been living in Marrakech for two months! My uncle has in Marrakech property and I spent there my best summer!
I tried hot mint tea served from a traditional Moroccan teapot and in locally made tea glasses.
Another local delicacy that the Moroccans make so well are grilled meats. Chicken and lamb pieces on skewers, cooked to tender perfection and beautifully seasoned and juicy sausages made with ground lamb.
Like many North African and Middle Eastern cities, Marrakech comprised both an old fortified city (the médina) and an adjacent modern city (called Gueliz). Interesting thing that the city is called "Marrakech" in French, "Marrakesh" in English, and "Marrakesch" in German.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home