Saturday, June 02, 2007

Knock Knock

I just got a wake-up call from God.

(Well, it was some of his witnesses actually.)

Three of them buzzed through the intercom. They said they wanted to talk to me about the Bible.

I wasn't really awake enough to teach them anything so I sent them on their way. They left me a leaflet. How nice.


I don't know much about Jehovah's Witnesses - most people only see them appearing door-to-door in sitcoms. My understanding is that
a) they believe that only a fixed number of people get into heaven &
b) they encourage you to join their church.
That doesn't make good business sense in my view, increasing the competition.
Imagine you'd invested your whole life to being a good Jehovah's Witness, then at the gates of heaven you were refused entry in favour of someone you'd converted that morning...


My other experience of JWs is in clinical exams. They appear a lot in exams. Usually with very severe blood loss. When JWs appear in an exam, they have usually suffered horrible life-threatening violent trauma.

I assume this is because they often have very strong beliefs which prevent them receiving blood transfusions - so we have to know how to manage them ethically appropriately as well as clinically correctly - thus they make good question-fodder in oral exams.

Either that or they're statistically a very very unlucky bunch of people.


Well, my three seemed nice. Tch, maybe I should've asked them in - would've been nice to find out more.

I just didn't think of it in time. Remember, I had just woken up.
And I wasn't wearing anything.

(Could've been awkward for everyone then...)

8 Comments:

At June 02, 2007 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For information about JW's please see here:

http://www.watchtower.org/

http://www.watchtower.org/e/medical_care_and_blood.htm

This is my own Blog:

http://jehovahs-witnesses-.blogspot.com/

Have a nice day!

A JW

 
At June 02, 2007 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a very black books moment possibly...
interesting twist though, explaining the bible in the nude, you could insist that they join you in your nudity, but can still waer a hat. house rules.

 
At June 02, 2007 4:38 PM, Blogger Suman said...

(I just want to point out that this is a light-hearted blog and I do not want it turning into any kind of religious debate - believe what you like, just be nice to each other, OK?)

 
At June 02, 2007 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey standing around in the nude can be very nice..tell then you are re-enacting the garden of eden :)
Nice.. but try to to let any snakes loose.

 
At June 02, 2007 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have any evidence to indicate what the mortality is of JWs that do not get blood? What is your experience?

 
At June 03, 2007 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as Cocktail Tom says, "a very black books moment"

That's exactly what sprung to mind when i read your blog! haha

i love BB!

xx

 
At June 15, 2007 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

REAL LIFE JW INFO:


SUMMARIES OF 300+ JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES LAWSUITS & COURT CASES




The following website summarizes 300 U.S. court cases and lawsuits affecting children of Jehovah's Witness Parents, including 100+ cases where the JW Parents refused to consent to life-saving blood transfusions for their dying children:

DIVORCE, BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS, AND OTHER LEGAL ISSUES AFFECTING CHILDREN OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

http://jwdivorces.bravehost.com

 
At August 02, 2007 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr SB, I hope Dr AK has sent you a copy of my Email. It was my best attempt at a sincere 'thank you'. Re JWs - as far as I am concerned you can believe in the giant pumpkin - but as a soteriological philosophy there are a few 'issues'. An ex-lady friend of mine was engaged with yours truly in a 'heated debate' - translate that to a 'relationship ending argument' when the doorbell rang..... 'Do you want to live forever?' Her response was 'no I ******* don't'. Touche coule je crois?

If you are nice I can give you a few better rhymes for metastases

KDM (didn't train at Barts!) :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home