Monday, June 11, 2007

Reading Festival

Crikey, is it Monday already?

Doesn't time fly when you're having fun?
And finally, I am!

I've got an MMC-Golden Ticket - it has been confirmed that I will not be unemployed in August, but in a training job to ultimately become a Consultant Anaesthetist in a few years time.

Woohoo! Great news. (OK, I'm still waiting to hear whether it's London, Kent, Surrey or Sussex... but it's a start!)


And now I'm actually a bit bored! With no interviews or exams for a while, I've been able to read a few books because I've wanted to (rather than because I'm going to be asked lots of questions about it), all of which are highly recommended:

Quirkology - The curious science of everyday lives, people psychology, helpfulness, being lucky, the world's funniest joke and the results of lots of fascinating experiments.

The Meaning of Tingo - Someone's been through hundreds of dictionaries and uncovered words that we don't quite have in the English language (and in that respect is quite similar to Douglas Adams's The Deeper Meaning of Liff)

The Undercover Economist - A real eye-opener, explains where costs come from, why coffee shops charge so much, etc... but now I can't go shopping without feeling like I'm being conned.

And now I'm reading The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable - explains why unpredictable things are bound to happen all the time.


Also I'm gonna be working at the Reading Festival & Glastonbury (so for goodness sake, don't take an overdose on my shift) and seeing the bands in between.


And last but not least...(drumroll) Adam & I are going to record the next Amateur Transplants album! I'm going to write a load more songs and polish up some unfinished ones. There might even be a gig or two!


So, if you'll excuse me, I need to go & buy a piano. No rest for the wicked...

11 Comments:

At June 11, 2007 11:45 AM, Blogger abright5 said...

When do you expect it to be finished?

 
At June 11, 2007 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on the job front - and we all can't wait to hear the new album

 
At June 11, 2007 12:39 PM, Blogger Suman said...

No idea how long it'll take I'm afraid - it'll be several months, given job & life relocations plus the time taken to produce the damn things! But it will be a humdinger when it's done! -S-

 
At June 11, 2007 5:25 PM, Blogger Anna said...

There is a lot of woo in this post. Well done on the job! You must be very relieved. Was listening to Fitness to Practice in the car the other day, it's been cheering me up on my relentless rounds of home postnatal visits... why can't they put oral contraceptives in the water in South London? Hmmm....

 
At June 11, 2007 5:54 PM, Blogger Suman said...

Anna! It's because blokes also drink the water!
Some blokes have enough oestrogen on board as it is

(That's probably the only reason tho... it'd be a good idea around here otherwise, I can tell you...)

 
At June 11, 2007 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put "I'm like a bird" on it, big fan.

 
At June 12, 2007 7:42 AM, Blogger MuppetMan said...

Congratulations on the job Suman - nice to see someone has made it to a training role in spite of all the obstacles the government has been placing in your way...

As for Glastonbury, you're a braver man than I... I've done many different duties in my time as a St. John volunteer (and also the Red Cross), but pop concerts are the worst - boring, nothing much happens, and you're constantly checking for needles...

Not fun.

 
At June 12, 2007 1:26 PM, Blogger Dr Joey said...

why put contraceptives in the water when you can stand on the roofs of shopping centres and shoot depo-provera at all the women? much more fun!

congrats on the job suman!

 
At June 12, 2007 5:34 PM, Blogger rj said...

well done suman!!
can't wait for the new album!

 
At June 13, 2007 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to add to your happiness, here's a crazy frenchman and his horns...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiqFz6_o3F4

 
At June 14, 2007 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've already told you this, but congrats on the job!

I'm comforted that ALL of the medics I consider my friends have all got jobs come August.

It sucks about the whole relocation thing though- I am also feeling the relocation pain. The blokes new hopsital is not even in "proper" London.

You better hope you don't end up in Speeters...(I'll still be working on the bank!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home