Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Waving (While Drowning)

If I don't make it to old age and die of natural causes, then I'm probably going to drown to death.


I can swim to save my life... but I'd prefer it if it didn't to come to that.

I've been snorkelling once before. It wasn't difficult.
So yesterday I jumped off the boat into the choppy waters of the Indian Ocean and was surprised to find I couldn't snorkel any more.

Instead I inhaled lungfulls of ocean. I'm not really designed for breathing underwater. If my nose is blocked (say, by a snorkelling mask) my natural instinct is to try & breathe in much harder until something gets into my lungs through my nose. In this case, lots of saltwater.

Despite being a singer, I'm actually quite bad at controlling my breathing. Which is why I am physically unable to smoke (even though it's cool & attracts the girls) - I just don't have the co-ordination.

I just couldn't overcome this whole breathing thing AND swim at the same time (I am only human after all) so I shamefully got back into the boat.

We went to much calmer waters a little later on, and there I could do it fine.
(Maybe it was 'cos I was wearing a life vest, I don't know)
First I hyperventilated.
Then I breathed liked Darth Vader with a head cold.
Then I sounded like a failed wean on ITU.
And finally, eventually, I was breathing normally.
So normally in fact that I couldn't hear myself breathing.
Because I'd stopped breathing.

Deep breath, glug glug glug, koff koff koff.

But after that setback, I got the hang of it pretty well. There were bazillions of fish, amazing colours, just indescribably beautiful. I just hung there as they swam around me. It was incredible.

After what seemed like hours, I eventually looked up, to find the boat & everyone else.

Gone.

I nearly pooed myself.

I have no sense of direction at the best of times. But thankfully, I was just facing the wrong way! Phew!

Saw a family of dolphins on the ride home too. Excellent!


So the trip's now going much better. I've found a few normal people to talk to, I've played football & volleyball (in Italian for some reason) and won the Karaoke competition last night.

I've had a really relaxing week. And it only cost the same as a week's camping!


Back on the truck in a few days - next stop South Africa!
Laters
-S-

13 Comments:

At September 19, 2007 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remember Dr. B, the fin that you see behind you may not be a shark - it may be your own flipper (didn't want to use fin twice). Am off to places where 'red hornets' are more likely to be tracer rounds rather than anything entomological soon. Am taking a copy of the excellent DVD. I did buy 4 copies so no lawsuits for giving a tonic to the troops please. Keep having a great time and take care! KDM

 
At September 19, 2007 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, smoking doesnt attract girls (not the ones worth having anyways), but being urself is good.... well at least as far as we blondes are concerned!
:-P

 
At September 19, 2007 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you get back please publish your itinerary so that I can copy it in the future, thx.

 
At September 19, 2007 9:57 PM, Blogger rj said...

What did you sing in the kareoke?

 
At September 19, 2007 11:05 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Also, (I saw also because I was the third anonymous to post), it makes me sad that the second anonymous did not understand your irony. And then spoke on behalf of all blondes.

Irony; member of the transition metals, atomic number 26, used to flatten clothes. It's not that hard.

 
At September 22, 2007 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can someone please post the Anaesthetists Hymn lyrics?
I love this song but I can't understand some words :(

Thank You!

 
At September 23, 2007 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Anonymous', the anaethestist's hymn is (I thought) one of the easier ones to understand - maybe is it Dr B's diction? £5 to Cancer Research and a promise from Drs B and K not to sue for copyright gets you the lyrics and explanations! KDM (kdm45@tiscali.co.uk)

 
At September 23, 2007 5:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At September 26, 2007 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel that I must comment as I was there with Dr. B as attempted to drink the Indian Ocean and failed. It really wasn't his fault - the water really was quite choppy.
For the record, he sang 'Summer of 69' that evening, which destroyed my rendition of 'I saw her standing there'
Hope all is well in Sth Africa mate.
Cheers,
Kuy :)

 
At September 26, 2007 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of all the reasons/excuses I've heard for not smoking... being physically unable to smoke takes the cake. lol
-somewhere in SEA-

 
At October 31, 2007 2:29 PM, Blogger coffeerox said...

i know that my response is severely delayed... blame it on the time difference...

this post really hit close to home for me. As a child I used to take swimming lessons and loved diving. Therefore I was always under the impression that if at some point, I had to swim, I could... even through my posterior now weighs several irons...

So there I was in a public pool in UK with my friends... confidently jumped into the water... when I realised that my brain, my lungs, my arms and legs were all not conforming to the natural laws of swimming... therefore leading to one result - drowning.

Man... I felt stoopid!

But it was all good... learnt how to swim again... but I am in no hurry to repeat my performance!

^__^

 
At January 24, 2008 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ilove your soungs but wer can I get the lyrics foor vthe anaesthetists soung

 
At January 25, 2008 12:19 AM, Blogger Suman said...

Bob, are you drowning...?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home