Friday, August 31, 2007

Do Not Joke With Immigration Officials

That is the advice given in my guide to travelling round Africa:
"Do not joke with Immigration officials".

I'm flying out tomorrow. I'm going for 5 weeks.
And yet I've only just started reading the guide. Well done me.

I really should be packing right now. Or sleeping.

But no, I'm blogging. Silly, silly, silly.

Then again I probably won't update this blog more than a couple of times in the next few weeks. It's nothing personal, I just don't think there are many Internet Cafes open in the Serengeti (I assume - I haven't seen many zebras on Facebook but they probably hide their profiles to avoid being stalked).


I reckon I will have lots to say when I get back though.

Such as
- it's difficult to sleep in a tent knowing there are lions roaming outside. Or:
- ten things I could've brought with me which would've been more useful than the book Salmon Fishing In The Yemen. Or:
- what use is being a doctor if you don't have any medical equipment with you (actually, half my luggage will be simple medical supplies, just in case... well, I don't want to look silly.)


Enjoy working/studying everyone - I'm gonna have a great holiday!
(seeing as I've emptied my ISA to pay for it!)

Chat soon
-S-

7 Comments:

At August 31, 2007 10:20 AM, Blogger Nurse Sandra May said...

Have a great time Suman- don't do anything I wouldn't do!

Don't get bitten by anything poisonous or disease carrying!

By the time you get back, I'll be starting my first placement as a student nurse!

Argh!

 
At August 31, 2007 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a fantastic holiday!!

 
At August 31, 2007 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, do not joke with Immigration officials.
Don't worry, you'll find net cafes there. But the connection speed is sometimes so bad it's not worth it.
And make sure you don't drink much water before the safari trips coz then you'll have to pee in the bush. Which isn't a problem as long as you make sure there are no lions nearby :-|
Some Swahili phrases to get you started:
Jambo - Hello
Kwaheri - Goodbye
Mzuri - Good
Mbaya - Bad
Tafadali - Please
Asante - Thank you
Samahani - Sorry
Jina langu ni Suman - My name is Suman
Simba - Lion
Kimbia! - Run!

Have an eventful holiday, won't you!

 
At August 31, 2007 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take lots of spare camera batteries unless you know you have access to a charger. And think how much space you'll need on memeory cards then add a zero. You'll take more pictures than you ever thought possible

Peeing behind a bush (or more likely a rock) is not a problem. Much better than using a pit toilet. If you have to do that practive not breathing for the duration

 
At August 31, 2007 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take lots of spare camera batteries unless you know you have access to a charger. And think how much space you'll need on memeory cards then add a zero. You'll take more pictures than you ever thought possible

Peeing behind a bush (or more likely a rock) is not a problem. Much better than using a pit toilet. If you have to do that practive not breathing for the duration

 
At September 03, 2007 8:44 AM, Blogger Chez said...

Hey Mate,
just letting you know that your stuff (Amateur Transplants) has reached Australia and it's doing the rounds! Keep up the medical jargon stuff - that's your best stuff in my opinion (but then again as a med student I'm bias :P)

 
At September 05, 2007 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr B, my PC does hate me! Have tried to post this several times. Have a fantastic holiday. Hope you packed Loperamide and Metoclopramide. Salmon fishing in the Yemen is a great read (not that I am biased in favour of Pembroke College Oxford!). Regards, keep safe. KDM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home