Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Job

I survived MMC!

My future employment status hung in the brink when I didn't get any interviews on the strength of my "application form"(a.k.a. Essay in Creative Writing & Jargon Shoehorning) in Round 1a. But when Round 1b was created so that everyone else got one sympathy interview, I got offered my top choice of job! Which was nice.

My deepest sympathies go out to the people who've been screwed over by the system. Some of my good friends are currently still jobless (with Round 2 already well underway) - no-one knows what's going to happen, but it appears that their current employers have a responsibility to help them out if they get nothing - ironically these doctors are probably highly skilled in the competitive specialties where there are very few jobs available - what a waste.

Other casualties include relationships - I know of several couples that have broken up because of it, including Hippychick & I. When do we get Patricia Hewitt's head on a spike?


But as for my job - thanks to a quirk of the rotas, my new job doesn't start til November, so it looks like I'll have September & October off (after I locum for a month).

What to do? It's the perfect time to go travelling, so I intend to spend most of September abroad.

Can't decide whether I should go on Safari, or go round Oz & New Zealand, or do some charity work somewhere for a few weeks.


No idea where to look - any suggestions?

5 Comments:

At July 18, 2007 7:43 AM, Blogger MuppetMan said...

Your choice of course, but I'd go for the charity work. See a different culture, do some good...

Of course, you could try and persuade Adam to help you book Wembley...

 
At July 20, 2007 3:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

COME TO AUSTRALIA

It's awesome.

COME TO WESTERN AUSTRALIA

We're awesome. Hell, we'll put you up in the med students' common room if you want (bed! hot and cold water! telephone direct to security! maybe TV if we can get it working this weekend!) Attractive prospect, I know.

 
At July 24, 2007 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go to CANADA!! Nice and clean. Also a good place to look for work if you are a doctor, they always need some. The NHS is crap any way.

P.S. i think i have worked out the government's plan to get job spaces for unemployed doctors. stop kids being able to do medicine at uni (or any science subject) by f*cking up the GCSE then A levels so the jump from 'why fishermen and scientists lie about cod' to actual science is too large to make without another 5 years schooling. cod and picture graphs made me fail my biology exam. and a d of e walk the night before my physics didnt help either.

 
At July 29, 2007 10:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well done fella

MTAS was an utter arse...

Best of luck to you all in round 2.

Doc P
6129667

 
At August 19, 2007 9:31 PM, Blogger Ben said...

I just got back from Australia and you should definitely go there. Especially in September/October, it'll be lovely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home