Friday, October 12, 2007

Bloody Telecom (BT)

Ok, so I was in a bit of a mood yesterday.
Sorry folks... the pills are kicking in now...

After someone's helpful comment, I discovered that Virgin were doing a far better offer, so I rang BT to cancel what I'd just arranged with them.

Given that I was leaving them, I was expecting to be a low priority call and to be kept on hold a lot. But good business sense or not, they were really taking the piss.

First I ended up in some kind of loop:
- Statement A: "You can organise your account online at www...."
- (music)
- Statement B
- (music)
- Statement A again
- ... etc

After 7 or 8 minutes of this I got fed up (as I assume they wanted me to) so hung up & tried again.

This time I purposefully rang the wrong departments; I figured then I'd speak to a real person sooner.

Real person #1 said he'd put me through to the "correct department" - it was a different pre-recorded loop. Bastard.

Real person #2 was a techie in an Indian call centre; he insisted on putting me on hold for 3-4 minutes at a time while he talked to his colleague to give him details of my account... and yet refused to hand me over to his colleague so that I could give him the details myself. Odd... almost like he was taking ages on purpose...

After 15 minutes of this, I talk to Real person #3, a bloke with an East-End gangster accent who told me I didn't want to leave BT now, did I? Sounded really quite intimidating.
Eventually he gave in trying to convince me and put me on hold for a further full ten minutes before finally picking back up and saying it was all sorted, the account was cancelled. Phew!

Three quarters of an hour it took me to leave BT.
I'm sure it didn't need to take them so long.

Bet it doesn't take anywhere near as long to get customers to join BT...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, Orange have changed the voice of their automated system. Gone is the stern, older lady who sounds like a strict school mistress; she's been replaced by a sexier-sounding younger woman.

I swear, that computer was flirting with me...

13 Comments:

At October 12, 2007 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer the old woman who told me my credit to the new one. I will now be all posh and look down on people and say the new one sounds too common, i prefer the posh well spoken old lady.

 
At October 12, 2007 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make sure you check your account tho- I cancelled with Pipex, and 6 months later I was STILL being billed like clockwork despite having moved out and numerous phone calls.

In the end the bank had to deal with it on my behalf and claim back all the money for me.

Never had a problem with BT tho!

 
At October 12, 2007 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took me over an hour to leave BT, beat you! That was on the second attempt - on the first attempt I got cut off just as one of the real people took me back off hold and seemed like they might solve my problem. This was all after writing them a letter explaining it all and having it completely ignored. It took me a good 40 minutes to set up a phoneline in the first place though.

 
At October 13, 2007 1:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lmao i have just spent the last 3 days reading this entire blog!!!! hilarious!!!! you think you've had trouble with BT try telling the tv licencing ppl you've moved and so need to have a new licence for your new place. they did send me a new licence...to my old address. i then tried to change details online didn't work as it didn't seem to accept halls of residence!!!! finally managed to check my account online to find they had changed my details!!! SO WHY DID IT GO TO MY OLD ADDRESS???? changed preference to receive it by e-mail- got e-mail back saying new one will be sent when current one expires! I HAVE NO CURRENT ONE FOR THIS ADDRESS!!! moral of the story: sod getting a licence paying the fine would be lot less hassle!!!

 
At October 13, 2007 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or just not a watch TV... it's all pretty shite anyway

 
At October 13, 2007 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just discovered your music on youtube and I'm sure it's going to get around the USA really fast if it hasn't already. You guys are funny.
I'm a Radiologist and would love to hear what you could do with that field of medicine. Just a request.

 
At October 14, 2007 6:12 PM, Blogger rj said...

I think being able to scan bits of yourself when you're not busy is a worthwhile perk to the job. Thats about all the input I have...

 
At October 14, 2007 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol good luck with virgin!!

You can look forward to the great music, while they leave you on hold for HOURS!!! (well maybe not hours)

At least you can de-stress by listening to the sexy orange lady (ooer).

 
At October 15, 2007 6:00 PM, Blogger rj said...

They let you choose your own hold music on virgin!!
That kept me entertained for the forty minutes I was on hold!

 
At October 18, 2007 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to 'the register.co.uk', the newer, sexier voice of Orange is Ruth Gibson. She makes topping up a pleasure!

 
At October 19, 2007 12:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

dont worry suman, my girlfriends flatmates have just spent the last three weeks pissing about with BT as they needed to cancel the old account which was held by someone who was moving out, and start a new one in their name... as well as sorting out the broadband on top. Apparently BT had lost all record of the line cancellation and told them that the line was never meant to be cancelled, even though there was a letter of confirmation proving otherwise.
Theyve only just got a phone line today after being cut off at the end of september!!!

they might have internet by the end of next week... maybe... who knows.

 
At October 26, 2007 12:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At October 26, 2007 12:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

what annoys me is when the tec ppl traet you like a baby. noone believes you can have pc knowledge right? well this polar bear, *smile* is tearing his fur out! call centres, don't get me started. *bangs paws on keyboard in frustration!* yes, i hope bt sort their technical support out soon, bring it back to a listening rather than dictating standpoint. I get really annoyed when I am confronted by a script reading robot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home