Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Giggles

We performed a gig in Warwick yesterday... my God, it was the best time we've had in ages!

It started off with a road trip. We picked up Mike, a mate of ours who does stand-up (and, of course, is another doctor), who was going to warm-up the audience for us... hmm... we'll get to that later.

It was a bit of an uncomfortable drive getting there from London - Adam's car is not being designed to fit more than one person.

I folded myself up across the back "seats" and slept for most of the journey (I'd just done a night shift) and left the navigation to the psychic satnav (which had shown me up earlier by somehow knowing that the shortcut I'd suggested would be blocked by a van. Bastard).

The Warwick Uni campus is massive. We eventually found where we were playing in the student union, where lots of techie guys (and one girl) were preparing the stage, sound & lights. The venue was called The Cooler, and had a reasonable-sized stage, massive speakers and a bar at the back. And was freezing.

Adam & I did a bit of warming-up (no pun intended) & prepared our props (oh yes, that bin wasn't there by coincidence... ). Then we went and had dinner with the rest of the crew. Within minutes, we'd managed to offend everyone at the table.

We were ready.

When we came down from dinner, the venue had started to fill up. There were security guards & even first-aid people (which was handy 'cos it'd have been a shame to have to interrupt the show to do some work!)

We were performing as part of a project to raise money for the Prince's Trust charity and the show had been well-advertised - there were probably already 250 people by the time Mike came on and they kept coming.

Mike's intro was filthy. But he's so well-spoken you can't help but forgive him. Even when talking about his penis. Continuously.

To me he looks like a certain character from the Harry Potter films...

By the end of it, the audience were pretty ready for some real comedy (only kidding Mike!). Mike got them to practice their booing. Seriously. Of all the noises you can get the audience to make, he wanted to make sure the booing was the clearest. Bastard.

(But it was better than some of the intro's he's done for us in the past - "Please welcome... a fat, vegetarian Jew... and an Asian")

Anyway, we came on & opened with something a bit different and did the 1st set. Highlights included my spectacular recorder playing, much use of the c-word, the Anaesthetist's Hymn and Adam once again ensuring I never get a girlfriend... by pretending that he & I are a couple. Bastard.

I also made the mistake of trying to eat a whole apple during one of Adam's songs which was shorter than anticipated. Nearly choked.

I went mingling during the interval, which was bizarre. Met a few people who read the blog - some of them even wished me a happy birthday!
Aw... you guys!*

It was also quite amusing that, despite being on stage in front of them for the best part of an hour, some people didn't recognise me! Others did a double-take when Mike came on to bring us back on again after the interval and I was still standing next to them at the back (I like to leave it as late as possible!)

Our second set went really well too. We tried quite a few new songs, all of
which went well. I also accidentally emptied a bin over a poor girl at the front, and Adam nearly killed someone with a coathanger (you had to be there).
It was amazing to see so many people joining in with lyrics we've written! I feel like I've achieved something in life (though what that achievement is, I'm not quite sure.)

After we'd finished the show, lots of people came to the stage to say hello/ask for autographs/money. It was really nice to meet you.
(well, most of you - one girl had a go at me for being offensive - fair enough, but this was the 3rd time she'd come to see us! she had a go at me the other times too... I reckon she fancies me...)

I also met these two lovely people who travelled all the way from Manchester just for the gig - I LOVE the t-shirts. (Incidentally Adam & I already have some designs for official Amateur Transplants merchandise in the pipeline when the next album is ready...)

Only managed to hang around in the bar briefly, mainly trying to talk to nice, shy people (while being accosted by embarrassingly drunk ones!) but sadly we had to leave and start the long journey home.

The drive back was... tricky. The ever-reliable satnav refused to accept that the A45 was closed and kept trying to get us back onto it. I kept dozing off, only to jerk awake suddenly, convinced that Adam had also fallen asleep and we were about to crash.

But we didn't. And Adam managed to drop me home in one, terrified, piece.

And so, the end to a great evening. Thank you to those of you who came to see us. Hope you were suitably amused and offended. (If not, get over it, it's for fucking charity.)

If anyone has any good photos of last night's gig, please let me know!


Right, I think the next gig might be up North... uh oh...

*Yes, I did pull out a camera & take photos of the audience during the show.
No, I have no shame.

19 Comments:

At February 06, 2008 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On behalf of the Potentia Events team,I would like to extend a big thankyou to Suman, Adam and Mike for their fantastic performances, and wish the Amateur Transplants all the best of luck with the new album.

Daniel Golder
Potentia Events
www.potentia-events.co.uk

 
At February 06, 2008 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second that :). Awesome show, many, many thanks for coming!

Hanns

 
At February 06, 2008 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a good show last night, I was really tired after singing along. I loved the new songs, singing the measles, mumps and rubella - ella - ella through the lectures.
You did ruin my dvd - now I look like a stalker!
Of course the anaesthetists hymn is a favourite
Laughing all the way home thanks

 
At February 06, 2008 2:16 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Woo, I see me! Awesome show.

 
At February 06, 2008 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
Is it somehow possible to buy an Amateur Transplants t-shirt on the internet so it would be delivered to Moscow (Russia) ?

Amateur Transplants fan-club in Moscow :)

 
At February 06, 2008 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the t-shirts. Not sure if I like the earlier elvis shot better, though.
Clive

 
At February 07, 2008 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great show, I really enjoyed my first time seeing you guys live despite it being short notice (got a text from a friend the night before asking if I wanted a ticket. The journey from Stafford to Coventry isn't quite as long and impressive as from Manchester though).

 
At February 07, 2008 3:59 PM, Blogger hallsresident said...

Ahhh it was a coat hanger, makes sense, couldn't see what had been launched!

Was a really good gig! Had such a good time, kudos for Adam with the changing of JPEGs of under 3s to dead Maddie oh how we laughed, well I did! Although suggesting on stage that I was going to bum you and then running away from me afterwards has made me self conscious, what did I do with that lithium?!

Hopefully see you for the Comedy review. Once again excellent gig!

Laurence

 
At February 07, 2008 8:11 PM, Blogger rj said...

Hi Suman,
Fantastic gig, it was absolutely worth the road trip (I'm the Northern Bird with the T-shirt!). We've been a bit strapped for a few weeks so a bloke we knew about 2 years ago from college let us crash on his floor, without him we couldn't of got there (Top fella!)

We were singing all the way through the gig (especially during "Your Baby", a particular favourite of mine, and also as the audience were pretty quiet on the youtube performance!) but I stopped near the end as I thought I was going to get attacked. (Man in the red rugby shirt was not impressed!)

Sorry for bootlegging the t-shirts though, when your designs are sorted get the link on the blog and I'll get the proper ones! We just couldn't resist- though I think Matt just wanted the excuse to have a garment with "your tits are unacceptably small" on, soon to be seen in a Manchester nightclub this weekend.

I second the Measles Mumps and Rubella- ella -ella singing (though the baby clinic was on at work today and I don't think the patients found it that funny.
Also, bravo on extending "Yellow".
"Like the inside of a cactus is"... Seemless!

We both had a brill night. But you most definately must do a Northern gig next time!!
Rachel

 
At February 07, 2008 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gutted i missed it! any chance of clips on youtube? or another dvd? *hint hint*

 
At February 07, 2008 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi suman,

Brilliant gig! Well worth the treck! (im matt from manchester)

Any idea when is the new stuff going to be available?
My favourites have got to be the "measles, mumps and rubella - ella - ella", anaesthetists hymn and of course... the Titanic song was ace!!
Plus we were so glad you extended yellow.

As for the T-shirts, I just couldnt resist! And yes I shall be wearing it out in Manchester this weekend... but like rach says let us have the link for the official ones when you have it.

Please consider a gig in the north! How about the comedy store, manchester deansgate locks...(M1 5LH)
its a good venue, well known and popular
no problem if it doesn't work out

Once again, a fantastic night and thanks

Matt

 
At February 08, 2008 4:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no shame in you and Adam being together, we're all open minded ;).

 
At February 08, 2008 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only sorry I missed it. Noone told those of us at the Med School that you were coming to campus...

 
At February 09, 2008 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where abouts 'up North' will your next gig be?

 
At February 10, 2008 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still want to know when you are coming to Oz.Every English medical student who comes asks if I've heard the anaesthetists hymn.I usually say loudly that the surgeon they are attached to needs a fucking NOVEL not a paper and then I go back to reading it.The last bloke presented me with a flash drive of your songs- filched no doubt from the net with no royalties but that's what you get if you won't come.Love from Adelaide

 
At February 10, 2008 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you'll be up north, i suggest as far north as durham!
looking forward to the next album, am now wondering what the measles song is!

 
At February 17, 2008 10:28 PM, Blogger Lepus said...

As far as I know, their next gig is in Leeds on 2 May, for the National Association of Medical Schools hockey tournament. Not sure if it's open ticket though...xox

 
At February 18, 2008 12:43 AM, Blogger Suman said...

Close... our next gig is at the Leeds Medical School Spring Ball on March 1st.

The ball is open to non-medics too though (email Lucy for details at ugm5lvbt@leeds.ac.uk)

And we're back in Leeds in May...

-S-

 
At April 10, 2008 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After being told to Download London Underground 3 years ago, I've been an avid fan (finding Fitness To Practice in a local charity shop was fate, I believe).
Are you going to be doing any gigs near or around Oxfordshire?
If you are, me and my friends will be there!

- Emmy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home