Thursday, February 14, 2008

High Hopes (& Aspirations)

I'm ill.

But no-one seems to believe me.

I started coughing suddenly on Sunday afternoon & haven't stopped. I think I accidentally inhaled something minor, and that triggered off a chest infection. Since then I've been feeling a bit rough, coughing up gunk, I've been running a decent fever & my pulse is a fair bit higher than normal.

Man-flu, everyone tells me.

(Apart from one medical registrar friend who wants me to have a large number of tests... but I don't think my chest sounds abnormal enough to warrant an x-ray, and while I'm happy to stick all kinds of needles into all kinds of places in other people, if I can help it I'll avoid having a "sharp scratch" (ie. metal spike) myself, thank you very much - although a benefit of having tests at work is that they would be processed more quickly than at the GP and I could interpret the results myself... in fact, I could probably put them on here for you medics to have a look through...
Although needles... meh...)

Anyway, I wasn't feeling brilliant, but held it together enough to perform safely at work (I wore a mask whenever I was near anyone, etc, etc.) rather than just sit at home coughing and leave the department depleted.
But rather than drive home between shifts (an hour each way), I thought it'd be better to try & get hold of a spare on-call room & sleep over at work.

So I rang up.

They wanted to charge me £70.

Seventy quid! There are hotels nearby that would charge less than that. And they'd give you complimentary tea & coffee. And a telly.

And a trouser-press.

So, bollocks to that idea.

When I was chatting to some of the doctors working overnight, one told me he never got to bed, his night shift was without exception always too busy - and if it did get quiet, the rooms were too far away; instead he would sit somewhere within the hospital in case of emergencies. So he gave me the key to his unused on-call room.

The room was clean; but I want to tell you about the en suite bathroom... it was the size of a phone booth! One side contained a toilet and sink; and on the other side of a shower curtain was a shower head (the water emptying into a drain hole in the tiled floor).

This shower was bizarre. Invisible water came out of it. I don't know if it was especially designed by NHS engineers or whether it was just faulty... but even on full volume, the spray was ultra fine. It was like a mist - the water was just... there.

The water pressure was immense and I soon learnt that there was a major time delay with adjusting the water temperature too (so I'm guessing... probably faulty then). I thought the temperature had settled when I got in, but a minute later, I suddenly felt a searing pain like my back was being pierced with fine needles... this was the high pressure water jets finally reaching boiling hot temperatures.

Still, I was rested & clean and in a better state to work than I would have been had I tried to drive home & back too.

Thankfully I had today off.


As a break from tradition, this year I've spent most of Valentine's Day coughing...

7 Comments:

At February 15, 2008 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Suman.
Perhaps serologic or radiographic evidence of your "man-flu" will grant you legitimate pity and consolation for your "incredible" pneumonia.
Medical Registrar Friend (aka L)
PS I think you'll live.

 
At February 15, 2008 7:54 PM, Blogger Rana said...

What has this to do with high hopes?
Aspiration - breathing?
Or is there alternative medical meaning like "a process of removing fluids from the body with a suction device"? What were you really doing ;)

 
At February 15, 2008 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could be worse... I've had similar symptoms for the last week (cough, green sputum, fever, rigors, followed by blood and pus coming out of my sinuses) that started on the first day of my annual leave and it looks like I'm going to be just well enough to go back to the joys of ortho on call on Monday.

Get well soon!

 
At February 15, 2008 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hate to sound like an old fart but you should document this and send it to management- the hospital has a duty of care and there are documented instances as you know of doctors (and other shift workers such as policemen) crashing their cars after shifts where fatigue (?and illness) may be a factor.(references can be supplied my sister tells me).Perhaps you could add a touch of malevolence by asking to view the appropriate guideline for health workers reporting themselves as fatigued or unwell after a shift.

 
At February 16, 2008 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tough guy!

 
At February 16, 2008 1:13 PM, Blogger rj said...

It's nice that you're thinking of us on Valentines day :D

 
At February 21, 2008 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, what were you doing that your GCS went down to the point you aspirated?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home