Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Overdrive

In other news, I nearly got killed a moment ago.

Bombing back up the M40, I notice the truck in front of me, full of rubbish, is being buffetted around a lot by the wind.

Suddenly several large planks of wood suddenly getting picked up by the wind, fly out of the top of the lorry and head towards me (or rather I'm heading towards them) at 70-odd mph.

Next thing I am aware of is that, alarmingly, I'm not doing anything to avoid my impending wood-car collision. After all, at this split-second in time, there are chunks of wood apparently suspended in mid-air, in the lane directly ahead of me, and the lanes either side, just waiting for me to hit them.

Where could I go? No hope of braking in time. And I'm pretty sure that my car has never flown - although if I hit any of the debris the wrong way, it would be likely to lift the car up and maybe over.

It was like something out of an action film.

Particularly because a few seconds later I was out of the other side of this cloud of wood totally unhurt. Didn't even hit the car. Maybe air vortices, maybe divine intervention, I don't know, but somehow the dozen lumps of wood & I did not collide.

I felt shaken but very alive for the rest of the journey.

I got home, feeling that maybe, maybe, someone out there was looking out for me.



To find that some fucker had just nicked my bike.

3 Comments:

At July 17, 2007 11:24 PM, Blogger MuppetMan said...

Hmm... Keep the bike or keep your life...

Personally, I think you made the right call...

 
At July 18, 2007 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Several years ago I was driving down the motorway with a 50mph limit in force and just in front of me, one of the overhead signs said "WARNING! Debris in lane 1" which would have been helpful had I not just driven into the debris while reading the sign.

 
At February 22, 2008 10:41 AM, Blogger SmootherPrince said...

My money's on divine intervention. I saw a guy doing hell for leather on a bike down the highway with what looked like angel wings with bits of plank sticking out around the same day. Travelling in the opposite direction of course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home