Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I Just Can't Carry On Any More

If anyone tells you, when the fuel light comes up on the car dashboard, that you've got at least 30 miles-worth left in the tank... you might want to correct them.

Happened to me last week - light came up, spent the rest of the day doing short hops around London, while half-heartedly keeping an eye out for petrol stations without success. Driving back late at night, totally fed up after a really good day that I knew all along was going to end utterly miserably (you know who you are), on the way back the few petrol stations whose locations I knew were all shut.

Approaching Putney Hill I remembered one that I knew would be open, less than 3 miles away.

But it's not a shallow hill. And what little fuel there was left must've all shifted to one end of the tank. So the car started spluttering and then stopped. Halfway up a hill.

Initial management:
Handbrake, hazard lights, profuse swearing.

Further management:
More swearing.

Then I thought, if I could free wheel back and turn into a side road, the petrol would move & at least I'd be able to start engine again & drive somewhere avoiding the hill.

Nup - the power steering wouldn't work with the engine off & I couldn't help steering back into the kerb.


I don't like relying on people when I don't absolutely have to (apart from at work where there are appropriate colleagues to share problems with).
But like anyone at times of non-life-threatening crisis, there are certain people you instinctively go to for help or support.

Like when you're feeling so ill you want to die (even if it's just a cold).
Or when anything else really bad but completely get-over-able happens and you just need someone.


Muuuu-um.

A short while later, Dad drives up bearing a plastic can full of petrol.
Not once does he say "Told you" (which was probably worse 'cos at least then I could say something in return), he just helps me fill up & we go home.


Moral of the story: Never forget family.
I'm really lucky that we are quite close and we've never had any real problems with each other, as I know many families have had.

In this world, there are only a few people with which you have a true permanent connection; a special connection that you don't share with the remaining 6 million vertical apes jostling for attention on this big ball of rock.

If ever you can, fight to preserve what you have - love (or at least tolerate & be there for) your family.


Saying that, I probably ought to get in touch with them actually, I haven't seen them since... oops...

9 Comments:

At October 24, 2007 1:31 PM, Blogger Epicentera said...

I think you meant 6 billion, sweetie, but point taken.

Glad you got home alright.

 
At October 24, 2007 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Familys best, she's a pest, especially with her hairy chest.

Of course I know who I am.

I'm glad you got back home safe too.

 
At October 25, 2007 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how heartwarming =]

i think you're going soft in your old age

 
At October 29, 2007 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean you left your car in Wandsworth, at night? And you didn't return to no car or at very least a burnt out wreck? Don't know whether to think you're mad or lucky.

 
At October 29, 2007 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh bollocks I just re-read your post and my last comment makes no sense as you never actually left the car...

Good job I'm anonymous and could be any one of 6 billion isn't it.

 
At November 03, 2007 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel a bit sad that my family didn't cross my mind when I read that.

On the plus side, it shows my Norwich friends are a family of sorts. I suspected as much...

 
At November 10, 2007 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, 6 Billion apes on planet Earth, but maybe you meant 6 Million on the British rock?

 
At November 23, 2007 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

6 million APES on the english turf

agreed.

funny blog none the less =)

 
At November 24, 2007 6:05 PM, Blogger Rana said...

I thought that's what the AA was for? I called them and they sorted me out very quickly. I now feel much more safe and secure knowing that if I ever fall by the wayside again then they will be there to rescue me...

follow their seven step program to salvation and you'll be too miserable to ever drive again :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home