Monday, November 19, 2007

Rumbo Airwar

Predictive text is a great invention, apart from a few basic flaws:

- People are idiots. They don't look at what they have written before pressing SEND. And sometimes, one combination of keypresses can lead to several different words.

For example - "rejected" and "selected". Using the wrong one does change the meaning a bit.

Others alternatives are just surreal:
"Smirnoff" = "poisoned"
"Newham" = "Mexico"
"Ask the cool barmaid for nine pints of beer" = "Ask the book carnage for mind shots of adds"
And be careful when mentioning your "dualing aunt"...


- The predictive text dictionary was written by an idiot.

It does contain words that you wouldn't expect to need that often, such as "conjunctivitis" and "infanticide" and the names of every African country (try it).

And yet it sometimes misses words which, I'm fairly sure, are real and in common usage. Like "Claire" (and "penguin").


- It guesses.

Sometimes it helpfully suggests words. Words which no-one in their right mind would try and use because they are not words.

The person whose job it was to program a bit of common sense into the dictionary was off sick that day. So it happily suggests "prioritishmi"and "landfe", because, of course, words are much more likely to end in "-hmi" and "-fe" than "-ing" or "-ed".

It seems to accept that something like "aworntytodelngoglo" is a real word. Likewise "poplilintinsllogekalsilalekokun".
Possibly useful words in Wales or the Himalayas.

Not in Putney.


- My phone has developed some kind of Alzheimers.

It insists that my name is Rumbo Airwar.
I teach it the correct spelling. Yet soon it has forgotten and I have to teach it again.

This happens with a lot of words - I have taught it "Anaesthetist", but after a short while, it refuses to remember it.
Luckily it can cope with "gas man".


I've had the phone very nearly a year now. This has suddenly got much worse the last few weeks.

Coincidentally, my phone service provider (I won't mention the company's name, but it's a colour which rhymes with... er... nothing rhymes with it), has recently started ringing me up offering me a new handset (& more expensive contract).


Suspicious...

13 Comments:

At November 19, 2007 4:34 PM, Blogger Lollipop xx said...

I once got a text from a friend saying 'You know I will always love you with a mushroom'.

I'm not sure the predictive text is entirely to blame there, but it may have been a contributing factor...

PS- my phone deletes everything I have added to the dictionary every time I turn it off. I understand your irritation.

 
At November 19, 2007 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone CALLED Claire, I appreciate your phone wrath...

 
At November 19, 2007 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once tried to ask my wife if she wanted a new "Puppy" for Christmas....FORTUNATELY I looked before sending.

 
At November 19, 2007 7:26 PM, Blogger bulc said...

Being a sad QI fan, could I correct you on the nothing rhymes with orange front!!!

1) Bloringe a small village in Wales

2) Gorringe OK this is a surname, but it does rhyme!!

 
At November 20, 2007 1:04 AM, Blogger Lepus said...

Tried once asking a girl if she "would like to get food in the Crown?"

Her responsive was positive so win/win!

 
At November 20, 2007 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you upgrade before the end of Dec you can trade in any old phone for £150 off your bill with Orange...

 
At November 22, 2007 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I regularly sign of my text messages 'Shag'

 
At November 23, 2007 2:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

One of my mates called "lizi" has this problem . apparently predictive text will bring her name up as "kiwi" a lot. Its now my new nickname for her, and she moans, but hey, what can I do :-p

 
At November 23, 2007 10:16 PM, Blogger Alex Stoker said...

Sounds like a link to Eddie Izzard's skit on 'suggestive' text...

 
At November 24, 2007 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey.... your songs are simply great.... as I am an opthalmologist --- do you have any songs about ophthalmologists ;-) or do you plan to write one ??? would simply be great... best wishes from Switzerland

 
At November 24, 2007 5:53 PM, Blogger Rana said...

It wasn't written by idiots, just by lazy computer programmers. They presumably borrowed a standard frequency list. But the language of TXT is not the same as the language of OED.

In the world of required SMS, we need "Home" a lot more often than "Good".

They must be religionists. Taking on your "shots" example, does anyone really use the word PIOUS more than PINTS ?

 
At November 27, 2007 7:43 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

My preferred shortened version of my name comes out as Paci - not so bad unless I'm texting one of the Asian rellies...

Oh and my mate Jase will always be known as Lard.

 
At November 29, 2007 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, try typing "lewisham" in and see what happens.

It did not end happily!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home